Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Temple, GA - 7/1/09

My day started way too early for my liking, but that also means it ended much sooner than usual. And that's not a bad thing. I did, in fact, make my delivery on time this morning. And I didn't get lost. +1

Clearing the first hurdle, it was on to my next load, which is set to deliver tomorrow in Atlanta. After I got loaded, I had plenty of time to get over here to west Georgia for the evening, leaving me with a short hop to Atlanta in the morning. +2

I had requested to be home this weekend, and also part of Monday so I could run some errands after the holiday. My dispatcher lined the loads up to make it happen. +3

Seeing as how I'd been in the truck all day, I hopped out to sit on a bench in the shade to get some fresh air. "I'm gonna sit with ya," said a young woman as she stopped and sat next to me for a bit while she smoked (fortunately, I was upwind) and texted on her cell phone. After a couple of employees came out and talked to her for a few minutes, I deduced that she, too, was an employee. Apparently she wasn't on duty yet, because she wasn't wearing a uniform. So, we sat and I smiled and nodded back politely at the people who passed by and did the same. Soon, my bench mate got up and went inside. About five minutes later, a gentleman that had smiled and nodded as he passed by approached me with two cokes and a bag of hamburgers. "This is for you and your girlfriend." Now, obviously the young lady isn't my girlfriend and I had just eaten, so I wasn't particularly hungry. Nevertheless, I was immediately touched by his generosity and this random act of kindness. +4

And then I started to wonder just what I'd done to warrant his generosity. I gave myself a quick sniff test; nope, still fresh (I'd showered recently). I rubbed my face; still pretty smooth. I glanced down at my attire; I was wearing clean, contemporary clothing. I don't know what it was. As he was walking away, he seemed to offer as an explanation that he thought I was someone he had spoken with previously in the parking lot. Ahhh, now I understand. Being mistaken as a bum: -3

Looks like I'm still in the black. Good times.

3 comments:

sb said...

...meanwhile, the real bum didn't get any burgers. -200 for him.

Bindy said...

Apparently Bret has a twin and he is a bum. We just hope he doesn't have Bret' billfold.

bf said...

I wondered why the good samaritan didn't just keep the food and try to find the real bum, though.

If there was a gentleman and his girlfriend asking for food, and the good samaritan talked to them, he has a really bad memory or really bad vision. But a very kind heart. I wish the food had gone to someone that truly needed it (as much as anyone needs Wendy's).