Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Catawba, SC - 7/21/09

When you enter the state of North Carolina, you'll most likely notice a sign on the side of the road that reads: "State Law: Must Burn Headlights When Using Windshield Wipers." It hasn't happened yet, but I'm waiting to one day see a car with an Alabama license plate pulled over on the side of the road, the rain-soaked driver kneeling in front of the vehicle with a lighter in one hand, confounded as to why the hell his headlights won't ignite. No, Alabama, mocking you will never cease to amuse.

I left Knoxville this morning and ended up getting to the receiver about an hour and a half ahead of my appointment. I know I'm leaving trucking soon, but I'm not getting cut any slack during my last few days; this place was not designed for tractor-trailers and my skills were definitely put to the test trying to maneuver on narrow city streets. As I approached the building, I saw a narrow driveway on the right, but it was clearly not a truck entrance. With traffic piled up behind me, I figured I should try to get off the main street. Just past the end of the building was an intersection with another narrow street. I could make an easy left and go away from the building, or I could make a hard right, up a hill, with a concrete wall lining the edge of the turn. Hoping there might be a side entrance or some docks in the rear, I opted for the hard right.



And then I saw the dock...and realized I was facing the wrong way.



"Well, you'll just have to go up the hill to turn around, pull back down across both lanes of traffic, and back uphill at an angle to hit the dock." Oh, sure, no problem buddy.



Well, eventually, I got all turned around and managed to get it in the dock. About an hour later, I was empty and ready to go.

(Author's note 7/26/09: the rest of this post was lost during the upload process due to the joys of modern technology, and perhaps, a bit of my own impatience.)

No comments: