Thursday, July 16, 2009

Shallotte, NC - 7/16/09

I don't think I've been getting enough sleep lately. I can tell because the first thing I want to do upon waking is go back to sleep. I bet you had no idea I could be so profound.

I had a long day of driving, but I found a great way to pass the time: listening to Judge Sotomayor's confirmation hearing on satellite radio. Seeing how many ways she could give the same answer to the same question was quite impressive.

It went something like this:
Senator: Judge, what's your opinion on.....
Sotomayor: I rule on the basis of law, not opinion. You old, wrinkly white man.

Okay, she didn't call them wrinkly, but she was masterful at circumventing their attempts to catch her making contradictory statements or revealing in any way that her legal opinions would be influenced by any thing other than the law. Due to the similar nature of the questions being asked, her deflective answers seemed to become quite routine, almost as if mocking the entire process. I found it humorous. It's always enjoyable to see a blatantly biased senator put in his place by a wise Latina. Take that, Sessions.

As promised to my dispatcher yesterday, I arrived at the receiver this evening after 5pm. Since receiving hours were over at 11am, I was expecting to sit here all night and get unloaded in the morning, however, the kind gentleman here said "though he had to go to his mother's house, he could come back and unload load me at 9pm." Sweet. Works for me. It's just now 9pm and I'm being unloaded as I type. My next load is supposed to be coming out of the black hole that is Catawba, SC. According to my preplan the load was scheduled to be picked-up between 7/13-7/15. I knew better. I was hoping, but I knew better. After calling the guard shack, I was told they hadn't even started making the product that is to be put on the trailer. No surprise there. This load should get me home for the weekend, so I'm hoping for some better news in the morning.

No comments: